Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Raven's Brew & Heaven's View

John Muir, the famous naturalist, wrote in his journal that you should never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live.

And there's a lot of truth to that. There's a lot of truth to that regarding a middle aged woman too.

I was extremely fortunate in the fact that my visit to Alaska was beyond a cruise ship deck or a few hour day excursion. Like Coca Cola, I got the real thing. Or pretty darn close to it. I was able to experience what television reality shows try to capture. My adventure is what many sportsmen dream about. I got lucky as my son works and lives in Southeast Alaska amid the trees and ocean abundant with wildlife.  I think this is how God intended the earth to be.

Each morning of my stay I would get up, hurry and get dressed. Then, I'd grab a warm blanket and go sit outside on the front porch all wrapped up in the blanket. By this time, the inside of the house had a slight chill to it. At night, the wood stove was loaded and the generator would be turned off. Fuel is expensive anyway, even more in Alaska. Electricity is a luxury. My son gave me instructions the first night: you get one toilet flush until the generator gets turned on the next morning. Make it count.
The lodge house has four bedrooms and each has its own bathroom. There were a couple of times I took advantage of the fact there were extra bathrooms without a room occupant.
Survival tactics, I reasoned. 

Sitting on that front porch each morning my senses were sharpened by Mother Nature. This was God's window, a bit of heaven on earth. The only thing I repeatedly wished for during these peaceful moments were to have in my hand a steaming cup of coffee. Without the generator on yet, this was impossible. Being a coffee snob, I relished new brands that meet my expectations. Raven's Brew is a coffee company in Ketchikan. Of course, coffee is not grown in Alaska, but the beans are roasted and placed in colorful artwork packages. Even without a cup of java to warm my body, I realized quickly that my soul was satisfied being there. I looked forward to these quiet moments of morning each night when I snuggled under piles of warm blankets.

The view from the porch provides an excellent view of secluded life on the water. Snuggled at the back of the cove, I soon learned that there were some other life sources that enjoyed this view as well. Uncle Sam, (an eagle I named) was spotted high up in the evergreen tree almost as if he was commanding this nook. I only saw him there once though. As inspiring as  it was to see this and many other eagles on my trip, I think the raven intrigued me more. 

Mr. Raven was there every day. I almost ducked once as the flapping of his wings in the quiet early morn sounded like a helicopter flying over the house. I think he flew lower each day just to get a better view of me too. Ravens are among the smartest of birds and predominantly black in color including their beak and feet.  Watching him glide in and out of the cove, soaring effortlessly it seemed, was an entrancing morning pastime. Ravens tend to be less social than other birds, and as I only saw this one raven outside the lodge, I think ours was a loner as well, but one that liked to rule the roost. It seemed he flew about watching over everything and squawking orders to the other inhabitants in this part of Orr Island. 

One of those inhabitants outside was a sea otter. Sea otters were spotted often during my visit. They float along on their back seeming to enjoy the view. Once we saw a baby laying on top of its mother getting a free ride. One morning I sat out in my chair and could hear the cracking of clams on the otter. I learned earlier that week that otters have a pouch or pocket on their belly. They place a hard rock inside this pouch, then dive down to the floor of the sea and bring up clamshells. Floating on their back, they smash these shells against the hidden rock to open them. Dinner is served!
 Sea otters spend most of their lives in the water and can dive up to 330 feet when foraging for food. They are unlike other marine mammals. They do not have a layer of blubber to keep them warm. Instead, they have the densest fur in the animal kingdom, ranging from 250,000 to a million hairs per square inch, which insulates them. They like to be well groomed too. They wash off after their meal and with their paws, fluff forward their whiskers and face fur. Much to my delight, I was able to hear this regime one morning as a sea otter floated out in front of the lodge floating deck. 

Potted plants lined the front of the porch, but the plant that I found to be especially intriguing was the sea kelp. These long tubed plants are a captains nightmare. They can cause havoc with a boat motor. As we pulled up to the dock my first night at the lodge, my son remarked that his parking place was full. Full of sea kelp. The plants are anchored to the ocean floor and the hollow tubes float with long finger like blades. The hollow bladders are gas filled, which is how they float. Lee broke one open and I was surprised that it made a popping sound as he did so. To just look at it, you would think it rubbery and hard to break open.

There are many favorite places that come to mind when I think of a relaxing spot;
The back porch at the main lodge at Camp Bedford, the beach on Tybee Island, a waterfall in Maui, or lying in a hammock viewing the stars above. I have to say though, that the front porch of the lodge tops them all.
My son just spent three weeks in California studying , taking the test and passing it with flying colors to earn his Captain's license.
He messaged me from Seattle to tell me he was heading back to paradise.
I understood completely what he meant.








No comments:

Post a Comment